Sunday, October 5, 2008

Serve Jackson Day



Forgot to mention the most important thing I did all weekend. I did a mission trip with Pinelake at Mission First in downtown Jackson. Often at church they tell us we don't have to go to Africa to make a difference in the world, that we can simply head into downtown Jackson. So I finally did. I boarded a school bus on Saturday morning at 8:00 and rode downtown to a little neighborhood undergoing massive renovation. We arrived at Mission First and they gave us an overview of where they were 10 years ago and what life is like today. I must tell you--change is good--thanks be to God! We then split up into groups to work on different projects for the day. I underestimated my ability to work. Being 7 weeks away from delivery--I couldn't move furniture, mow grass, work with the demo crew etc. I was initially pretty upset and felt useless. They sent me and another pregnant lady (our new Clinton campus pastor's wife) to help with the community garage sale. we spent the day organizing items, pricing, selling, and bagging, and talking.

Here is am bagging up items.
It felt good to hear the stories of what it "used" to be like in the neighborhood and what a change it was now. I still probably wouldn't go by myself at night to this neighborhood but it was progress for the community anyway. They appreciated the volunteers incredibly and weren't shy to say thank you. It doesn't take much to make a difference in someone's life. You just have to make the decision to do it.

http://transformationinmotion.blogspot.com/a> (mission first blog)


http://www.missionfirst.org/templates/System/default.asp?id=1366 (website)

No comments: